All the kids in the Pullen Family

Monday, August 30, 2010

First Days of School

getting ready for school before changing
Monday, August 23, 2010 to some would seem like just another day, but for Alex it was a very special day.  This was the first day of school and not just any year it is the first day of 5th grade and his last year in elementary school.  It was a big day.  We started off the day with a huge breakfast, which I do for each of the kids on their first day of school.  This year seemed to be a little more special not because Alex is going into the 5th grade, but because on this day Alex was the only one going to school.  Alex attends Killeen ISD and they start school earlier than Copperas Cove ISD which is where the girls attend school.  So at 530am I get up and get my first cup of coffee for the new school year and start my traditional back to school breakfast.  I made pancakes, bacon, sausage and eggs and for drink I made orange juice.  At 6am I went in to wake up Alex.  He was so excited about starting school that he was already up and getting ready to get into the shower.  By 630am Alex was in the kitchen eating breakfast and I was doing the last minute check of the backpack making sure that we have everything on the list and that all the items are marked with his initials.  At 645am we had out the door to the bus stop.  The bus stop is only 2 doors away so it is great and at 648 the bus arrives and off Alex goes for his first day of school!  It was both happy and sad for me as I was glad to see him so excited to head back to school and honestly I love the summer with the kids but I also love the day that they head back to school as well. It was sad realizing that my youngest child is starting his very last year of elementary school and before I know it I will be attending 5th grade graduation and that next year he will be at the Junior High School.

Next up Thursday, August 26, 2010. Oh this day is going to be interesting....Again what is so important about this day?  Well this is the day that not only is it the first day of school for Heather, but it is also Tiffany's first official day of High school and she is officially a Freshman!  Heather decided the week before that she wanted to go back to Cove High and be in school with her sister.  This was really thoughtful of Heather, but it also was a great decision on her part as Cove has a better Ag program with more opportunities for her in her field of study in Animals. So just as I have done since Monday, my day started at 530am with getting Alex up and off to the bus and then making my traditional First day of school Breakfast for the girls.  We were very blessed in the fact that a very good friend of Tiffany's Claudia was able to join us in our First Day of School traditions.  So with the pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs and oj made we all sat down to have a prayer for the girls to start the year and at 730am we headed out the door to take them all to school.

Heather and Tiffany are very fortunate in that they do not attend the one of the local high schools (Shoemaker) that we are in the zoning for as it is an okay school, but not the safest of schools nor is their education at the level that I expect and grew up with back at home in Winchester.  I always wanted my children to attend a high that still has high school spirit and pride in their school and their programs and with Cove these girls are able to experience that just as I did at Handley.  At 745am we arrive at the school and with me holding back the hugs and tears as I watch my oldest and middle daughter get out of the van and head into the school for their first official day and Tiffany's first day of high school I drive off.  The girls have already gotten grades and I love the school in that they have a program for parents called the Parent Portal that I can check on their progress not just on their attendence but on their assignments and grades as well.  I am very proud to report that they both have started off the school year on the right foot with their grades and I am so pleased with them both.


I was hoping to have more pictures of the morning and day, but with having teenagers I was banned from being the photo queen of the day and was limited on the photos that they let me take.  Had I had it my way I would have had pictures of the meal, the drive, and them entering school but they refused to let me do so. So enjoy the photos I was allowed to take.

Happy school year everyone!!!
Heather getting ready to leave in her favorite outfit
Claudia Tiffany's good friend                                 

Tiffany looking over her schedule and Claudia on way to school

No comments:

Post a Comment