All the kids in the Pullen Family

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Soda Bread

Okay, so I was on my Facebook and saw that my sister-in-law was looking for a recipe for Soda Bread.

This bread is sooo easy to make.  So in case anyone else was looking for the recipe I decided to go ahead and post it on here.  I love to cook and bake and I seem to have passed that on to my daughters as well.  Enjoy~

Soda Bread
Makes one loaf
3 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Measure flour, salt and soda and mix together in a large bowl.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk. Stir, adding more buttermilk if needed; the dough should be soft, but not wet or sticky.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead just enough to bring the dough together. Turn it over and pat it into a round loaf about 1 1/2 inches high.
5. Place on a baking sheet and cut a cross into the top of the loaf with a knife. Cut fairly deeply into the bread, being sure to cut all the way to the edges; this helps the bread to rise properly.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 400°F and bake for another 30 minutes or until done. To test, tap the bread on the bottom. It will sound hollow when done.

No comments:

Post a Comment