All the kids in the Pullen Family

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Researching the family

Several years ago I started doing genealogy for our family because I am really interested in our family heritage and where we all came from.  What our family is all about and who we really are.  When I started this grand adventure I thought that it would be something that was easy to do.  Not so much.

My Mom's side of the family seemed to be fairly easy and there are a few branches of her side of the family that I can take back to 1545.  Wow right! I remember when I did that and was amazed at how easy it really was to do.  It took me about 2 weeks and it was done.  Now there are some holes in it that need to be filled but not too bad for just starting.

I remember when I started this adventure.  We were living in Germany and I was tired of watching the same things on the only English speaking channel that we had that was also closely monitored by our military.  That channel was called AFN. (Armed Forces Network)  So I started researching on the internet and that was when I was first introduced to Ancestory.com.  When I first started working with this program they did not have all the things on it like they do now.  Now they have this little green leaf that comes up if something was located on a person that you have listed.  It is actually really cool and can make researching your family really easy.

Anyway, when I started on my Dad's side of the family, I thought it would be as easy as my Mom's side.  Yeah not so much.  I found that I did not know nearly as much about my Dad's side as I thought I did and well that is what parents and grandparents are for.  Hmmm, again not so easy.  My Grandma Sally was really closed about her past to include her family.  I was able to get her to tell me the names of her siblings, and her parents but when I asked for anymore information I was clearly shut down.  As a matter of fact she was very serious when she told me that I would have to wait for her to go to heaven to get any more information.  Sadly, my Grandma Sally passed away 20 Jan 2010.  Now two months later, I have decided that it is time for me to pick back up this task. I hope that in doing this I will be able to honor my family and my Grandma Sally.

Tonight I found something really interesting that I had never, ever seen before and I thought I would show you all. There is writing at the top and I can only translate so far that it starts out "Nothing to..." I have not been able to figure out the rest of the meaning yet. 

I hope that as I work on this I bring honor to our family line.  I hope to one day be able locate pictures of everyone or as many as I can find through the line and even add censis records, war cards or anything else that I find out there that I can attach to the family line.  I hope that one day I will be able to sit down with my family and show them all that I have found and learned about the Pullens, Capertons, and any other family lines that I find.  Who knows maybe we all will learn something new about that side of the family and where our family history falls within this great country of ours.

One interesting fact that I have learned so far.  I thought that when Dad and Liz moved to Winchester that it was a new place for my family to actually live.  I found that this was not the case at all.  I thought that Grandma Sally was the first of our family to be buried in Winchester, VA.  I now know that I have others buried there as well. Although, they are not tied to my Dad's side of the family.  They are tied to my Mom's side.  To be more accurate it goes from my Mom to my Grandma Ada and down her line. So okay here it goes count with me...my great-great-great-great-great-great Grandpa Aaron A Smith was Married in Winchester, Va on 1 Nov 1772 to Sarah Allen now her parents Joshua Allen died in Winchester, VA around 1751 and his wife Elizabeth Allen died in Winchester in 1752. By the way both Joshua and Elizabeth where married in Winchester, Va as well.  So part of my family history ties back to Winchester,VA well before any of us thought it did.  Interesting huh?

I think when we go back to Va early this summer I may take some time with the kids and see if we can locate their graves in Winchester and then get can start gathering at least pictures of their headstones for our family ancestory pages.

So below is our Pullen Family Crest.




No comments:

Post a Comment